If you’re considering closing your underground storage tank (UST) either temporarily or permanently, you must do so in accordance with federal regulations. In this week’s blog, we’ll discuss the regulations concerning a temporary closure, post-temporary closure, and permanent closure. Note that these are EPA regulations and that your local jurisdiction may provide additional instructions.
Temporary Closure – Up to 12 Months
- Monitor the tank for leaks unless it is empty. Empty is defined as “no more than one inch of residue is present or not more than 0.3 percent by weight of the total capacity of the UST system remains in the system.”
- Monitor corrosion protection systems.
- If there is a leak, stop it, report it to local regulatory authorities, and clean up.
- “If the UST remains temporarily closed for more than 3 months, leave vent lines open, but cap and secure all other lines, pumps, manways, and ancillary equipment.”
Post-Temporary Closure – After 12 Months
Once the 12 month period is up, the three courses of action you can take are:
- Permanent closure – if the tank doesn’t mean regulations for new or upgraded tanks, with the exception of spill and overfill.
- Extension – Local regulatory authorities will consider an extension of the temporary closure if you provide them with an assessment of whether or not there is contamination at the site.
- Continued temporary closure with no extension – If the tank meets regulations for new or upgraded tanks (again with the exception of spill and overfill), you do not need to request an extension.
- Inform the regulatory authority of the closure at least one month in advance.
- Do a contamination assessment of the site and take action if necessary. Keep records of your actions.
- The tank may either be removed or left in the ground. Regardless, it needs to be emptied and cleaned by trained storage tank professionals. If left in the ground, the tank must be filled with sand or another inactive solid.
Nationwide supplier of storage tanks and vessels for 20 years.
Nationwide installer of storage tanks and vessels since 1997.
Distributor for over 55 storage tank and related accessory manufacturers.
Industry leader since 1993.
As a distributor and installer, we know everything there is to know about the business, which allows us to offer the best quality tanks and proper installation services. Our dual role also makes our services more cost-efficient, and allows you to cut out the hassle of working with independent distributors and installers.
Our status as a national distributor for over 55 storage tank and related accessory manufacturers means we offer a wide variety of tank solutions that are guaranteed to fit your needs, and our emphasis on customer service makes us one of the leading distributors in the industry. We’re focused on providing the best products and services to the consumer in order to remain one of the industry leaders.
We strive for complete customer satisfaction, and with our 20 years of experience, we think you’ll notice the difference you get with us. Let Tanks Direct be your first choice for all of your tank and storage system needs. Contact us today at 800-865-5555, or [email protected]. Also be sure to keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn.