It’s always important to be safety conscious when refilling your vehicle at the gas pump, but it’s especially important in the winter. The reason for this is that static electricity is much more common in the winter. Static electricity is the result of a buildup of an electric charge in your body. In your car, you build up a charge as different layers of clothing rub together, and as your clothing rubs against your seat. In the winter, this charge continues to build up because the dry air doesn’t allow the charge to dissipate into water molecules in the air as it does in the summer. In addition, the soles of your shoes (if they are rubber) are insulators, and don’t allow the electricity to discharge.
So when you exit your car to refuel in the winter, you most likely have an electrostatic charge built up. If you don’t discharge this before you start fueling, it may discharge on the nozzle of the gas pump, ignite gas vapors, and start a fire. For this reason, it’s important to discharge any static buildup in your body before you begin to fuel. You can do this by touching your car door after you exit the car. The metal in the door will conduct the electric charge and remove the buildup in your body.
Here are some other tips for safe refueling:
- Turn off the car and stay near the nozzle when refueling.
- Don’t get back in the car while refueling, as this can cause you to build up a charge again. If you do have to get back in the car, discharge yourself on the door immediately when you get out.
- Refill approved containers on the ground, not in the vehicle. Keep the nozzle in contact with the container while filling it.
- If a fire starts, don’t remove the nozzle. Leave the area and get assistance.
- Nationwide supplier of storage tanks and vessels for 20 years.
- Nationwide installer of storage tanks and vessels since 1997.
- Distributor for over 55 storage tank and related accessory manufacturers.
- Industry leader since 1993.
As a distributor and installer, we know everything there is to know about the business, which allows us to offer the best quality tanks and proper installation services. Our dual role also makes our services more cost-efficient, and allows you to cut out the hassle of working with independent distributors and installers.
Our status as a national distributor for over 55 storage tank and related accessory manufacturers means we offer a wide variety of tank solutions that are guaranteed to fit your needs, and our emphasis on customer service makes us one of the leading distributors in the industry. We’re focused on providing the best products and services to the consumer in order to remain one of the industry leaders.
We strive for complete customer satisfaction, and with our 20 years of experience, we think you’ll notice the difference you get with us. Let Tanks Direct be your first choice for all of your tank and storage system needs. Contact us today at 800-865-5555, or [email protected]. Also be sure to keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn.