Storage tank technology has come a long way, and today’s storage tanks are safer than ever. The latest technology in corrosion resistance has significantly reduced the chances of a leak, with fiberglass construction, durable coating linings, and double-walled construction. Leak detection technology alerts operators in the event a leak is detected either from the tank or during refilling so that it can be dealt with swiftly and safely.
Perhaps in no place are these technologies more important than at gas stations. There are 180,000 service stations in the country, which together hold more than 2 billion gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel, the majority of which is contained in underground storage tanks with capacities of 30,000 to 40,000 gallons. High demand for gasoline means these tanks may need to be refilled once a week, which means there are plenty of opportunities for a spill or leak to occur. Learn how storage tank technology is making refilling of underground storage tanks safer below.
Safe Underground Storage Tank Refilling
- Alarms go off when the tank is getting full.
- Automatic shut-off switches stop fuel from entering the tank before it fills completely.
- Ball float valves automatically close the vent pipe when the tank is almost full. This results in a backpressure, which tells the operator the tank is nearly full.
- When the delivery hose is uncoupled from the fill pipe, it may spill fuel. Catchment basins are used to collect spilled fuel around the fill pipe and prevent it from leaking.
- Advanced leak detection systems can alert operators to leaks that are as small as 0.1 gallon per hour.
- Vapor monitors detect gasoline vapors in the soil near the tank, as well as the presence of fuel in groundwater around the tank.
- Regular tank testing ensures the tank is in safe operating condition and is not developing any leaks.
Safety is the number one priority for any fuel storage tank operator, and today’s technology is making it easier than ever to maintain a safe operating environment. To learn more about fuel storage tanks, safety, and storage tank technology, contact Tanks Direct today.
Nationwide supplier of storage tanks and vessels for 21 years.
Nationwide installer of storage tanks and vessels since 1997.
Distributor for over 55 storage tank and related accessory manufacturers.
Industry leader since 1993.